skip to main content
College Planning Center

The California DREAM (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act is a package of state laws that allow children who were brought into the US under the age of 16 without proper visas/immigration documentation who have attended school on a regular basis and otherwise meet in-state tuition and GPA requirements to apply for student financial aid benefits.


Who is Eligible to Apply?

  • You must be ineligible for Federal Financial Aid.

  • You must be a California Resident.

  • You must apply for and qualify for anRIGHT GOLD ARROW AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption in order to be eligible for grant aid.

  • Attend a California high school for three or more years,

  • Graduate from a California high school or receive the equivalent general education diploma (GED),

  • Register or be currently enrolled in a California Community College (CCC), California State University (CSU), or the University of California (UC), and

  • Sign a statement with the college or university stating that he or she will apply for legal residency as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

  • To get a Cal Grant, they must also meet all other Cal Grant eligibility criteria


Undocumented students cannot complete or submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and should instead submit the California Dream Act Application. 


Students who ARE eligible to complete the FAFSA should NOT complete the California Dream Act Application.


Students who have a Social Security Number that was issued after completing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) process must file the Dream Act application. These Social Security cards will say “Valid For Work Only With DHS Authorization.” Other students with Social Security numbers must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


RIGHT GOLD ARROWOnline Application