skip to main content
Career Planning Center
FAQs about Work Permits

FAQs about Work Permits

What is a Work Permit?

A Work Permit is a verification of your age, birth date, enrollment, and attendance in school that you are required by California Labor Laws to provide to your employer. California State Law requires that a minor be enrolled and attending full-time school before a Work Permit can be issued. If the minor drops out or otherwise does not attend school, the Work Permit automatically becomes null and void. If the employer continues to work the youth, the employer is in violation of the State Law.


Who needs a Work Permit?

All minors under the age of 18 that are employed, except those who are high school graduates or students who have been awarded certificates of proficiency.


What is the purpose of the Work Permit?

It verifies the minor's age for the employer and enables the employer to comply with State and Federal Labor Laws. Some of these are summarized on the Work Permit. As you will see, different age groups are permitted to work different hours.


Are there requirements to hold a Work Permit?

Yes. The schools require a student to maintain at least a 2.0 G.P.A., attend school regularly, and maintain a good discipline record.


How long does it take to get the Work Permit?

It will take from 3 to 5 days after you return the completed Request for Work Permit. You may not begin to work until you provide the completed Work Permit to the employer.


Do I need a new Work Permit if I get another job?

Yes, a new Work Permit must be obtained for each job.


How long is the Work Permit valid?

Work Permits issues during the school year expire five days after the opening of the next succeeding school year. The expiration date appears on the Work Permit.

Students under the age of eighteen (18) must obtain a work permit at PHS after securing an opportunity for employment. Work permit requests and work permits may be picked up from the Learning Community directors’ secretary, or they may be downloaded here:


RIGHT GOLD ARROW Work Permit Application


In order to be eligible for a work permit, students are required to maintain appropriate attendance and school performance. If they do not, employers will be notified and the student will be unable to continue working.


Specifically, students must:

•have fewer than three (3) school days (or 21 class periods) of unexcused absences within a school year;

•maintain a GPA of at least 2.0; and

•be clear of any outstanding school fines. Work permits will not be issued to students until all fees are paid.


If a work permit is revoked, the student may apply to have their work permit reinstated if attendance, behavior, and/or academic performance has improved enough to maintain a C average for at least one term and/or have fewer than three (3) unexcused absences for one term


Legal Working Hour Restrictions

AGES 14-15 (School In Session): 3 hours max. per day/18 hours per week - 7 a.m.-7pm.

AGES 14-15 (Summer): 8 hours max per day/40 hours per week 7 a.m.-9 p.m. -

AGES 16-17 (School In Session): 4 hours max. per day/Mon. - Thurs. 8 hours max. per day/Fri. - Sun.

20 hours total per week, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school next day.

AGES 16-17 (Summer): 8 hours max. per day/48 hours per week 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.


The Federal Government under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) has listed 17 hazardous occupations which minors UNDER THE AGE OF 18 are prohibited from working in any capacity. There are no exemptions or exceptions !!!


This is a partial list. For a complete listing contact the U.S. Department of Labor.

  • Serving Alcoholic Beverages

  • Motor Vehicle Driving - Minors may not drive on any public highway. This does NOT prohibit a minor from driving on private property (i.e. auto car dealer lot)

  • Power-Driven Woodworking Machines

  • Exposure To Radioactive Substances- X-Rays

  • Power-Drive Hoisting Apparatus-automobile hoist, lift truck, fork lift, elevator, crane, derrick

  • Power-Driven Metal-Forming, Punching, Shearing Machines

  • Power-Driven Bakery machines - dough sheeter, bread, meat or vegetable slicer, dough mixer

  • Power-Drive Paper-Products machines - paper bailers, box crushers

  • Power-Driven circular Saws, Band Saws, Guillotine Shears

  • Roofing Operations

  • Excavation Operations - cannot work in trenches deeper than 4 feet

  • Explosives Manufacturing Occupations

  • Mining Operations

  • Logging and Sawmilling Operations

  • Occupations In Slaughtering, Meat Packing and Rendering Plants

  • Brick, Tile and Kindred Products Manufacturing

  • Wrecking, Demolition and Ship-Breaking Operations