Short-term Independent Study may be an option for students who will be absent from five (5) to twenty (20) consecutive school days. STIS is not available during finals or statewide testing periods. To be eligible for a Short-term Independent Study contract, the student must
- Complete an application at least ten (10) school days prior to departure (Available in the Student Support Center)
- Have a good attendance record
- Be in good academic standing (2.0 with no F’s on most recent grade reporting)
- Be on-track for graduation if a senior.
- NO incomplete Independent Study Contracts within the last year
The parent/guardian must meet the school’s guidelines for requesting Independent Study contracts. If all the contracted work is returned with satisfactory progress, the student will maintain a clear attendance record. If the student’s work is unsatisfactory, or incomplete, the school can only grant excused days of absence for the amount of satisfactory work returned. The other days of absence will be considered unexcused, and will count towards truancy limits.